Public Employees Leadership Institute
The Public Employees Leadership Institute (the Institute) is a series of 14 online professional courses that can help employees enhance their leadership skills and knowledge.
The Institute is certified by the American Public Works Association (APWA). Anyone employed by a member of a state APWA chapter can earn certification through the Institute.
Non-APWA members can take courses, too. The content is applicable to employees of almost any public agency or private business in any state.
- All courses are online.
- The courses are self-paced for convenient, independent learning.
- Each course is equivalent to a 6–8 hour, face-to-face workshop.
- Participants have 90 days to complete each course.
- The content is up-to-date and relevant for new or aspiring supervisors and for experienced leaders who want to enhance their skills and qualifications.
Is the Institute for you?
If you answer yes to any of the following questions, you could benefit from Institute courses:
- Do you want to enhance your qualifications for a more responsible position?
- Do you consider yourself a leader in your organization, or want to become one?
- Are you already a first-line supervisor or higher?
- Have you recently been promoted to a position with supervisory duties?
- Would you like to improve your supervisory or management knowledge and skills?
- Do you like the idea of self-directed learning, at your own pace and convenience?
Is the Institute for your staff?
If you answer yes to any of the following questions, consider using the Institute to help meet your staff training and employee succession needs:
- Are you experiencing or anticipating staff turnover? Are your leaders retiring?
- Would you like to promote someone who lacks supervisory experience or training?
- Would you like your staff to develop a big-picture perspective about their work?
- Do you have a limited budget for staff training?
- Is it difficult to send employees off-site to attend workshops?
- Do you have seasonal or weekly slow times that could be filled with ready-to-go employee training?
The Public Employees Leadership Institute is accredited by the American Public Works Association.